Mapping the Gay Guides aims to understand often ignored queer geographies using the Damron Address Books, an early but longstanding travel guide aimed at gay men since the early 1960s. Similar in function to the green books used by African Americans during the Jim Crow era to help identity businesses that catered to black clients in the South, the Damron Guides aided a generation of queer people to identity sites of community, pleasure, and politics. By associating geographical coordinates with each location mentioned within the Damron Guides, MGG provides an interface for visualizing the growth of queer spaces between 1965 and 1980.
MGG launched in February 2020 with an initial dataset focused on the Southern United States from 1965 through 1980. We’ve also received a Research Scholarship and Creative Activities grant from California State University, Fullerton to continue to digitize data and will continue to release more data throughout 2020.
- Liset Machado, Intern, Florida International University, Fall 2019.
- Morgan Glover, Intern, 2019-2020.
- Susana Garcia, Intern, 2019-2020
- Christian Castillo, Graduate Research Assistant, California State University Fullerton, Spring 2020.
- Laura Fauvor, Graduate Research Assistant, California State University Fullerton, Spring 2020.
- Giulia Oprea, Graduate Research Assistant, California State University Fullerton, Spring 2020.
- Sierra Rivera, Graduate Research Assistant, California State University Fullerton, Spring 2020.
- February 12, 2020: Site launch. The initial launch contains data from the Southern United States from 1965 through 1980.
- December 15, 2019: Added a “preview” vignette and visualization focusing on Alabama’s LGBTQ spaces between 1965 and 1980.
The MGG team would love to hear from you. Feel free to send us comments, suggestions, or inquiries at
email@example.com or get in touch with us on twitter at @gayguides.
If you use this project, we would appreciate it if you would cite us using the suggested citation below:
Mapping the Gay Guides, Amanda Regan and Eric Gonzaba, (2019-): http:// www.mappingthegayguides.org.